Health Tip: Encouraging Picky Eaters
by -- Diana Kohnle
Updated: Feb 28th 2017
(HealthDay News) -- Young children are notorious for being picky eaters, but parents don't have to do battle at every meal.
The Mayo Clinic suggests:
- Don't force your child to eat if the child isn't hungry. Offer small portions, and let your child ask for more. Offer food at the same time each day to establish a routine.
- Offer new foods often and repeatedly. Give praise for trying something new.
- Present food in fun shapes or colors. Add more vegetables and fruit to your dishes.
- Let your child help shop at the grocery store.
- Don't allow TV or smartphones at meals, so your child can focus on eating.
- Don't offer dessert as a reward for eating. And don't offer to make something different for each member of the family.
- Set a good example by eating a variety of healthy foods yourself.
This article: Copyright © 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.