I was in treatment for my eating disorder and mild Bipolar Disorder. We were completing a life story and people around me were talking of repressed memories . I started to remember a dream I had of my father kissing me which really grossed me out. Someone suggested this was a drudged up memory. I spoke with my dad about it, we are very close, and he laughed. He has told me whenever I have asked that this is not reality. He suggests this was thought up after someone mentioned it to me and I was obsessing over it to answer where my Eating Disorder and Bipolar Disorder came from.
I am terrified that there is something I can't remember and I keep obsessing about the thoughts in my head. How do I stop obsessing about this as it surly must be a false thought. I do not want to ruin my wonderful relationship with my father.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.