My roommate is a survivor of childhood physical and sexual abuse. She is a recovering alcoholic, and now that she has stopped drinking the memories of her abuse are coming to the surface. She has just started therapy through the county mental health department, but she is not seeing anyone there frequently. She is currently unemployed and goes through these periods of normalcy followed by periods of extreme depression. It is very difficult to live with her and try to support her. Sometimes I think she wants me to yell and be angry with her because she pushes all my buttons until my patience is at an end. I want to help her get well. She is a good person, but I feel like I'm getting pushed to the brink. What can I do to help her and also keep myself sane?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.