ParanoiaSat, Dec 14th 2002
My father is exhibiting classical symptoms of delusional paranoia. A number of months ago, he misplaced a valued watch and accused my 60 year old brother of stealing it. When my mother found the watch in his dresser drawer, he insisted that it wasn't the same watch and that my brother and his friend had gotten another one engraved and put in its place. My brother has NEVER been dishonest or shown any interest in any of my parents' meager possessions, and yet my father is so adamant that my brother can no longer visit or call. This is causing a terrible rift in the family. I live thousands of miles away and can offer little help. Is there any treatment for this. My father has always had a suspicious nature and frequently distrusted family members (as opposed to strangers).
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.